At Laguna Llanganuco, during my last trip to Peru, I took a hike for about an hour along the lake. The setting was impressive:
- a beautiful lake with a greenish color,
- surrounded by mountains, some of them with snow,
- a deep blue sky, hardly any clouds,
- a view of the top of the Huascarán (highest mountain of Peru).
Altogether, really overwhelming. During this hike I took 82 pictures (actually, a bit more, however, a handful I threw out in a first round because they were out of focus). I selected only 7 for Dreamstime; all of them were accepted. The others I did not submit. The question is why.
To answer this question I rated my own pictures. Normally, I have a quick glance and reject most of them without making explicit why. It has become intuition. Now, I forced myself to make the reason for rejection explicit. Here are the reasons why:
- Lack of composition, like lack of balance, blocking flow of the eyes, lack of depth, distracting parts of the picture etc
- Technical flaws, like out of focus, sun flare etc
- Snapshots, no other interest than for my own recollection
What is left over are the Winners and close to winners (of which 7 were submitted to and accepted by Dreamstime). Sometimes the differences were minimal.